Thursday, April 2, 2026

Letting nature do the gardening for me

My ideal garden is one where animals do all the hard work and I just get to enjoy spending time in it.

Sadly, in the absence of any grazing livestock, I must spend some of my time wandering about with a mower or a brush-cutter trying to do what a cow would do. I'm aiming for a diversity of sward height: really short sward for the Autumn Lady's-tresses and other species that like it, tussocky sward for the voles and Harvest Mice, and everything in between. Hopefully, it also works out for a variety of plants and wild flowers.

I'm grateful to the animals that help make the grassland even more diverse by creating a bit of bare ground. Rabbits with their scraping:
Badgers digging for whatever it is they dig for:
Voles doing their bit by gardening around the entrances to their burrows:
Badgers trampling paths:
Moles pushing up mountains:
 

Humans digging holes. I created a patch of bare ground here three years ago to see what would happen (the answer was not much, though we did have Common Poppy in the garden for one year):
Yellow Meadow Ants Lasius flavus building their anthills:
This is my favourite anthill which is growing sideways. It points directly south-east, and illustrates the true purpose of the anthill which is to act as a solarium, catching the all-important early rays of the rising sun:
This is my favourite photo illustrating the importance of bare ground for invertebrates:

2 comments:

  1. Do you actually have Harvest Mice in your garden? Grippped to the maxx. Sadly I am genetically cursed with having a head of full hair, but if they fancy an away day at the hairy fun park...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but we've only ever found nests - yet to actually see one in the garden.

      Delete

White-knuckled Wolf-spiders on the Isle of Wight in 2026

Probably my best day in the field of 2025, and one of my best days in the field ever, was when Graeme Lyons came over to the island in Octob...